Wi-Fi speakers connect to your home network; they usually run on AC power, so they require an outlet. Bluetooth speakers are paired directly with a device like a phone or a laptop.
Wireless speakers come in all shapes, sizes, styles and strengths. The trick is to muddle through the many product options and discern the right wireless speakers to purchase.
First, however, is information regarding distinction between the wireless routes: Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Consumer Reports explained the difference in its “Choosing the Best Wireless and Bluetooth Speaker” report: “Wi-Fi speakers connect to your home network; they usually run on AC power, so they require an outlet. Bluetooth speakers are paired directly with a device like a phone or a laptop.”
Planetwifi.org in December offered Bluetooth speaker considerations:
1. Weight and size: “If your intention is to have a portable speaker that you can take with you wherever you go, choose one that does not measure more than” 6 inches or 15 centimeters.
2. Sound quality: Between 15 and 20 watts is adequate to reach about 80 decibels, which is a volume high enough to hear in outdoor environments.
3. Battery backup/quick charging: Read reviews to learn how the product compares to others.
4. Connectivity: Make sure it will connect to current technology and/or older, if desired.
5. Hands-free feature: Check into options if other tasks, such as a phone call, are required while connected to speaker.
6. Design: Cute, cool, colorful, round, square, rectangular — multiple looks are available.
7. Controls: Are they easy to understand?
8. Needs: Indoor, outdoor or both? For work or private party entertainment?
9. Durability: “Some equipment is covered by aluminum housings more resistant than the usual plastic. If you drop it, a dent may be made, but it will not break,” informed Planetwifi. Will the speaker be used inside at home, exposed to the outdoors, traveling often? Also, Consumer Reports pointed out that water resistance is a consideration if speakers will be taken to a beach or around a pool.
10. Price: PC Magazine’s “The Best Wireless and Bluetooth Speakers for 2019” shared information about models ranging in price from $29 to $499.